It’s the time of year for good cheer, and one aspect of that cheer is the office Christmas party. Apparently, these parties are quite a popular time for workplace infidelity to occur.
I’m almost certain that the two biggest reasons for this are the presence of alcohol and the absence of the cheater’s spouse at the party.
I had no idea that holiday parties were such a hot bed for infidelity. But now that I think back on some of the school Christmas parties I’ve attended, there definitely were some flirtatious activities at most of them. Certainly the rumor mill was flying after each party.
Below are some statistics that were mentioned in a recent Examiner article that may surprise you.
Christmas Party and Workplace Infidelity Statistics
- In a survey conducted by Men’s Health magazine, 44% of the males said they’d had an affair with a co-worker at a holiday office party at least once in their life.
- In a survey by Trojan Condoms, 49% of the employees expressed their willingness to “go all the way” with a fellow employee at the Christmas party if the opportunity presented itself.
- Almost 33% of those in the Trojan survey said they’d previously had sex with a colleague during or after an office Christmas party.
- A survey conducted by Canon revealed that 1/3 of the workers either kissed a co-worker, or ended-up going home with them after the company Christmas party.
- 16.4 % of people in the GMTV office party survey said they became intimate with a colleague at the office Christmas party.
- In a more recent survey, 33% of the males said they were interested in getting more ‘personal’ with their colleagues at the office Christmas party.
- Almost 25% of the female employees in that same study said their boss has made a pass at them during such events.
- In Party411.com’s survey, 20% agreed that many extramarital affairs begin at office Christmas parties.
- 64% of the office workers in the OfficeSMART survey said they personally knew of affairs that started at their office Christmas party.
- In an online poll conducted by Tickle.com, about 41 percent of employees said they would flirt back if a co-worker hit on them during a holiday party .
- 1 out of every 4 people in the CareerOne.com.au office romance survey said they hooked up with someone at the office Christmas party.
- 41% of the 18-30 year old office workers in another study admitted getting together with a co-worker at their annual Christmas party. 13% said they’d actually had sex at the event, but only 6% of them got caught.
- 1 out of 5 women in the WorldWIT survey became romantically involved with a colleague at an office party.
- 33% of the above mentioned women admitted to having an affair following their office party fling, and a year or more later, 13% of them were still romantically involved.
- A London survey found that 1 in 10 respondents started a relationship at the company Christmas party. 25% of those questioned said that’s how they met their future spouse. Read full article here.
I think I read somewhere that workplace infidelity is the most common, and since so many affair partners are indeed also co-workers, it is imperative that the betrayed spouse accompany his/her mate to any work holiday parties.
As a betrayed spouse, it can be tough enough to deal with the emotional issues that this time of year brings. You don’t want to have to sit around worrying about what’s going on at the company Christmas party too. So either you go to the party too or your spouse doesn’t!