By Sarah P. It’s almost always a struggle for couples to communicate about topics that matter to one but not the other, especially if this topic references past hurts. Unfortunately, just talking about such heated topics can cause a fight. When marriage becomes one fight after another, most couples withdraw from hot topics. After all, […]
This is the latest installment of our ‘You Decide’ series where you will provide your opinion on a fictional affair scenario. In this particular scenario, we tell the story of Ron and Maria and their all-to-common tale of being in affair limbo. Ron and Maria have been married for 25 years. Their marriage has always […]
Why you should ask if adult ADHD may be the elephant in the room. By Melissa Orlov When your partner has an affair, one of your first instincts is to try to figure out what happened. What led you both to this place? One possible factor that neither partners, nor therapists, commonly consider is that […]
By Sarah P. The things that people say and do during affairs are so predictable that it is almost funny. Unfortunately, broken trust, destroyed lives, and broken families are no laughing matter. Still, there are patterns that all affairs follow; there are universal actions on the part of the wayward spouse; and there are the […]
I’m on a quest this year to read as many books as I can. I’m juggling my reading time somewhere in between my incredibly busy schedule at school and my almost daily caretaking of my aging parents. I am currently finishing up a book by Cheryl Strayed entitled, “Tiny Beautiful Things.” You may have […]
By Sarah P. Not all negative communication patterns are alike. Sorting through the most harmful of these patterns has been one of the main areas of research for Drs. John and Julie Gottman. They have narrowed the four most harmful communication patterns down and refer to these patterns as The Four Horsemen: Criticism, Contempt, Defensiveness, […]
We are launching a new series that we’ll run periodically called “You Decide” where you will provide your opinion on a fictional affair scenario. For each column, there will be a different scenario that has to do with infidelity. The purpose of this exercise is to define what infidelity means as well as to help […]
By Sarah P. This post is the third segment in the John Gottman’s Four Horsemen series. In this post, I will be discussing defensiveness. But, before we jump into the post, I would like for you to watch this video. It’s only about 5 minutes long so let’s dive in: I really like […]
We received an email the other day from a reader who writes the following: I have been in contact with you during the last few months. Your site continues to be a great resource for me as I have come to terms with what happened in my marriage. We are the couple […]
Whether you just found out about the affair or you are much further along in your recovery process, you have something in common… …You’d like things to get better and move closer to complete recovery, healing and a thriving marriage we all want. The first step is really understanding where you’re at currently. Take a […]
Search Our Site
This short guide tells you what you need to know to survive the affair, heal yourself and emerge on the other side a stronger person.
- It’s Tough To Stop an Emotional Affair March 15, 2011
- When the Other Woman Becomes the Wife September 6, 2012
- Real Reasons the Emotional Affair Happened February 2, 2012
- Staying After Cheating: Is It the Right Thing to Do? October 11, 2016
- How Does A Betrayed Spouse Heal from Cheating? July 5, 2013
- Open House Discussion August 28, 2013
- Does the Other Woman Play A Role In an Affair or Does the Blame Land Solely on the Cheating Husbands? YOU Decide July 19, 2016
- Discussion: Why Do Men and Women Cheat? October 5, 2011
- The Big Five: Gottman’s Communication Techniques to Talk about Infidelity April 18, 2017
- You Decide: Ron and Maria – Living in Affair Limbo April 11, 2017
- Is It Possible that Adult ADHD Contributed to an Affair? April 4, 2017
- Musings on Infidelity: Affairs Are Not Original and Not Excusable March 28, 2017
- Struggling to Heal? You Have to Reach! March 21, 2017
- The Last of the Four Horsemen: Stonewalling March 14, 2017
- You Decide: Is it an emotional affair or not? March 7, 2017
- John Gottman’s Four Horsemen: Defensiveness February 28, 2017
- TryingHard: OK well that is fitting with my thought process. ...
- Hopefull: My husband was the opposite. He had constant atten...
- Hopefull: TryingHard, You have it exactly right with this gr...
- Hopefull: This really has been my newest revelation. After g...
- rs: Hello Danni, I pray that you will find your pie...
- TheFirstWife: I also think in my H's case that he had only one ...
- TryingHard: Hi Hopeful--your comment got me thinking. These fr...
- CJ: How righteous of you. Did you know your ?? was mar...
- Affair Signs
- After the Affair
- Catch a Cheating Spouse
- Dealing with Infidelity
- Emotional Affairs
- Ending an Affair
- Forgiving Infidelity
- Healing From Infidelity
- Marriage Building
- Our Emotional Affair Story
- Preventing Infidelity
- Save Your Marriage
- Self Help
- Sex and Marriage
- Surviving an Affair